Re: Starting Apps as Iconified

Ethan (
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 01:17:24 -0800 (PST)

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Thadeu Penna wrote:

> Thanks a lot to Andrew and Ethan for the suggestions. Actually,
> StartIconic is what I was looking for. By the way, I could not find it in
> the current documentation. IMHO, the database configuration is not fully
> documented anywhere.

True, unfortunately.  David Mihm is working on the man pages, however,
and he will probably fix it.  StartIconic is mentioned in the afterstep
man page, under "Style", but a text search can't find it due to the

Here's a description I just wrote of what the various Style flags do.

database (Style) options
In general, these options have both an "on" and an "off" keyword (like
"Title" and "NoTitle", for instance).  This allows a general style (like
the "*" style), to be overridden by a later style.  For example:

Style "*" NoButton 1, BorderWidth 2
Style "xterm" Button 1, NoHandles

... will hide the leftmost button on the titlebar for any window except
xterm windows.  It will turn off resize handles on all windows.  It will
also give a 2-pixel border to xterm windows - note that BorderWidth only
affects windows with NoHandles (this is in the manpage), so all other
windows will receive the normal 1-pixel border.

Here's a list of options, along with what they do.  For each group, the
default is listed first.

Icon <icon.xpm>
  Specifies the icon pixmap, if the app doesn't supply its own.  NoIcon
  turns this off.

  Give the window a titlebar.  NoTitle removes the window titlebar.

  Display the icon name along with the icon.  NoIconTitle turns this off.

  Give the window resize handles, also called the "lowbar".  NoHandles
  turns this off.

Button <button>
  Allow a titlebar button to be shown.  It will still not be shown if it
  is disallowed by Motif WM hints, or there is no pixmap specified for it
  in the look file.  NoButton disallows a button.

  List the window in the window list.  WindowListSkip removes the window
  from the window list.

  Circulating (also called warping or alt-tabbing) will stop at this
  window.  CirculateSkip prevents circulating to this window.

  Start as a normal window.  StartIconic starts the window as an icon.

  Don't put a window anywhere special in the stacking order.  StaysOnTop
  windows are placed above all other windows except menus.  StaysOnBack
  windows are placed behind all other windows.

StartsOnDesk <desk>
  Start the window on the current desk.  StartsOnDesk will force the
  window to start on a specific desk.

Color <forecolor> <backcolor>
ForeColor <color>
BackColor <color>
  Change both the foreground (text) color, and the background color for
  this window.  ForeColor changes only the foreground color.  BackColor
  changes only the background color.

  This window will refuse to take the input focus.

Slippery, Sticky
  This window will remain on whatever desk it started on, unless the user
  moves it.  Sticky will cause the window to move to whatever desk is
  currently shown.

BorderWidth <width>
  If NoHandles was also specified, set the border width of this window.
  Note that the border is an X border and not special to AS (unlike the
  titlebar or lowbar).

HandleWidth <width>
  Set the width of the resize handles on the lowbar.

Ethan Fischer