Re: Upgrading AS, libc5 okay?

Ethan (
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 03:52:30 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, David LaMothe wrote:

> First, thanks for all the replies; I think the fog is clearing. I suppose the
> crux of my question revolved more around the libc vs glibc matter. It's my
> understanding that this is not a RedHat or RPM issue, but that the whole
> GNU/Linux world has just about moved to glibc. This is the reason for my
> question and doubts about compiling the AS source, and whether or not it is
> intended for a glibc system, given that I have libc. I've read the whole FAQ
> and changes file and found nothing. Sorry if I'm pressing the point, but I'll
> first have to remove the AS RPM (I think) and that's a bit scarry. If I've
> missed something or am totally out to lunch, please let me know.

While it is true that many people in the Linux world have switched to
glibc, not everyone has.  For instance: I have, but David Mihm (one of
the people who tests devel versions of AS) has not.  It's a pretty safe
bet that AS will compile and run fine on a libc5 machine.  Go for it -
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the ease of installation.

> PS. just a quick protocol question: am I expected to cc: to the sender, or just
> reply to the list?

If the sender reads the list, they'll end up with two copies if you cc:
them.  It's probably better to just send to the list.

Ethan Fischer