Re: Upgrading AS, libc5 okay?

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 13:06:02 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, David LaMothe wrote:

> First, thanks for all the replies; I think the fog is clearing. I suppose the
> crux of my question revolved more around the libc vs glibc matter. It's my
> understanding that this is not a RedHat or RPM issue, but that the whole
> GNU/Linux world has just about moved to glibc. This is the reason for my
> question and doubts about compiling the AS source, and whether or not it is
> intended for a glibc system, given that I have libc.

The source is not intended for either system; but it gets compiled
differently depending upon which libraries you have.  Many people have not
moved over to glibc (this is actually usually shorthand for glibc 2),
mostly because it involves a lot of work.

> I've read the whole FAQ
> and changes file and found nothing. Sorry if I'm pressing the point, but I'll
> first have to remove the AS RPM (I think) and that's a bit scarry. If I've
> missed something or am totally out to lunch, please let me know.

It's advisable to remove the RPM before you put a new version in.  The
reason for doing so is that you're otherwise likely to wind up with two
versions, or else a new versions where the package manager thinks you have
an older version.  But it shouldn't be scary; as I understand it, one
of th points of RPMs is to make it easy to remove a package, & be sure you
got all and only that package.

> PS. just a quick protocol question: am I expected to cc: to the sender, or just
> reply to the list?

It's preferable to reply just to the list, because otherwise people get
multiple copies of the same mail.

                                   *  *  *
                Go to http://lowrent.org/asfaq/, or issue