Re: Problems with Start

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:15:03 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Rick Giguere wrote:

> I'm running AfterStep 1.4.5.55N6, installed via RPM on a RedHat5.1
> machine.
>
> I faithfully copied over all of the configuration files and directories
> to the appropriate location off my home directory.
>
> Whenever I chage any configuration FILES, the changes take place just
> fine when I restart AfterStep.
>
> Whenever I make any changes to my start SUBDIRECTORY, the changes don't
> show up on my start menu.  I'm changing the start directories off my
> home directory, not the system-wide set.  I added a new directory, and
> that submenu does NOT show up on my start menu.

Red Hat overwrites the start menu.  This behavior can be turned off, but
I'm not sure how.  Removing the rpm and getting a newer version of AS
(1.5beta4 is the latest and greatest) is the best way to fix the problem,
IMO. :)

> In addition, I changed one instance of starting xiterm on the start menu
> so that it starts nxterm instead,to see if that would "take", and it did
> with one exception - the title bar still says xiterm.  (xiterm is very
> nice, but when you highlight something for click-and-paste, the text
> stays in the buffer but the highlighting disappears, which is VERY
> annoying.)  Where is the text for the titlebar coming from?  I've looked
> in all the config files, but can't seem to find out where that text is
> stored.

That's odd - the window titlebar name is set by the application, not AS.
To change the title of most *terms, use:

xterm -title "preferred title"

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com