Re: Upgrading AS, libc5 okay?

Ethan (
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 17:46:45 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, David LaMothe wrote:

> On 30-Oct-98 David Mihm wrote:
> >glibc2 is evil, just like gtk 1.1.x :)  It's a sad day in the
> >Linux community when applications require alpha/beta or extremely new
> >libraries or toolkits (like those above).  Making applications only work
> >when compiled with things like egcs or pgcc is also just as evil. It's a
> >sad, sad day. :(
> ></rant></soapbox>
> >       Thankfully Afterstep does not require any of these ridiculus hoops
> >for you to jump through.
> >      We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
> Hmm. I gather this is a hot topic in the developer groups. Anyway, now I don't
> feel so bad having libc5. Maybe we should dress up as a "glibc" for Halloween
> :-).

This sounds like an excuse to reply to David's post. :)

I agree, requiring devel libs, toolkits, compilers, kernels, etc. makes
life more difficult than it needs to be.  There are times when it is
*necessary* - I remember the days of kernel <0.99, when much of the new
software was groundbreaking (for Linux, anyway), and required the latest
kernel.  I remember when select() didn't work - and when it finally did,
anything new I wrote that used select() required the latest kernel.

These days, most basic software (such as libs, etc) in the Linux community
are relatively mature, and there is no excuse for requiring devel versions.
But - would you rather have the software with a requirement for devel
libs, or would you rather not have the software?  People often write this
stuff for fun (I know I do), and backwards compatibilty can be a major

I'm not saying don't complain, because user comments can often make
software better.  I'm saying, be sure to keep your perspective. :)

Wow, that turned out longer than I expected.  I should probably say
something about AS to make this post a tiny bit relevant. ::scrambles
for something to say::  Ah ha, the rest of the post I'm replying to:

>      I just finished compiling on my poor old 486/66 and got a
> couple of errors: 1) [...] src/afpager_noxpm 'no rule to make all  stop'
>                            2) You must have sgmltools [...] to make afterdoc.

These are normal for, no worries.  If you had done a "make
install" after that, it would have installed correctly.

Ethan Fischer