Re: Couple of questions on AS customization.

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:27:17 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Paul J. Bolle wrote:

> 	I'm a little confused as to the behavior of AS (v1.4.5.55N6),
> in regards to two little local anomalies I've run into.
>
> 	I've specified an IconBox in my looks file, yet anything I
> iconify places the icon at the upper-right corner of where the window
> used to be - as if shrinking it down to that coordinate. I can't seem
> to override this by changing the IconBox property, nor do I know where
> else to look. I realize it's seemingly not a big deal, but it becomes
> a hassle when the upper-right corner is beneath another window, and I
> have to move or shade this window to get at the icon, and, well, I
> believe IconBox was designed for a reason. :-)
>
> 	The other odd thing I noticed is in the customization of the
> TitleButtons on the windows. Any changes I make to their functionality
> don't seem to take effect, either by restarting or the various Update
> options in the start menu.
>
> 	I also wish to remove a couple of them, and when I did so in
> my look file and restarted AS, I was dropped back to my text prompt,
> and could not restart X with AS until I fished out and replaced the
> look files from underneath the ~/G/L/A/non-configurable hierarchy with
> old ones that worked. I was then able to start AS properly. In a
> nutshell, what am I doing wrong here?

Hmm.  My first thought was that you were not selecting the new look and
feel from the start menu, but since you found the button-changing bug,
that can't be right.  The steps are:

Change the look or feel file.
Select the look or feel from the start menu.
Update look or feel, or restart AS.

The button removal problem is a known bug - it is documented in the FAQ:

http://www.the-site.dyn.ml.org/Linux/AfterStep/FAQ/afterstep.faq.1.4.6-4.html#ss4.6

> 	If it helps, my goal is this: I wish to remove the two left
> TitleButtons on all my windows (by install they were there, one acts
> as the "Alt-Tab" binding, the other brings down the default "This
> Window:" submenu), leaving only the other three that iconify, shade,
> and kill/close on the right side of the title bar.

This is much easier and safer in 1.5beta4, where removing the buttons
from the look file is all that is necessary.

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com
http://members.xoom.com/allanon1