Re: Beta 5

Doug Alcorn (
06 Oct 1998 12:19:40 -0400

Linux Idiot <> writes:

> Benjamin J. Tracy wrote:
> >
> > Howdy folks!
> >
> > Just wanted to bring up a couple of problems I've been having with beta 5.
> >
> > 1. Menus sometimes seem to disappear several times when traversing several
> > of them before appearing.  That is, I try to open a cascading menu, and it
> > takes several tries before the next one appears.  It flashes and then goes
> > away.
> I think this is a problem that existed with 1.4.  I'm running 1.4 and
> the menu doesn't actually disappear, but it is hidden below the window.
> I posted this earlier to the list, but got no response.

<nearly random spewwing of potential nonsense>
I have guessed (not tested) that this is related to the autoraise
module.  My theory is that the actual menu itself is considered a
child window of the application calling the menu.  So, if you tell the
app to show the menu, but don't actually put your mouse pointer on the
menu that drops down the "parent" window gets autoraised.
<\nearly random spewwing of potential nonsense>

<wistfull hoping for something that may exist>
It the above happens to be true, wouldn't it be nice to have a
feature that would cause the mouse pointer to always jump inside the
child window.  The would prevent the unwanted parent autoraising
<\wistfull hoping for something that may exist>

 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo )  (Fledgling XEmacs User)