Re: Beta 5

Linux Idiot (esoteric@denali.atlnet.com)
Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:34:39 +0000

Doug Alcorn wrote:

> Linux Idiot <esoteric@denali.atlnet.com> writes:
>
> > Benjamin J. Tracy wrote:
> > >
> > > Howdy folks!
> > >
> > > Just wanted to bring up a couple of problems I've been having with beta 5.
> > >
> > > 1. Menus sometimes seem to disappear several times when traversing several
> > > of them before appearing.  That is, I try to open a cascading menu, and it
> > > takes several tries before the next one appears.  It flashes and then goes
> > > away.
> >
> > I think this is a problem that existed with 1.4.  I'm running 1.4 and
> > the menu doesn't actually disappear, but it is hidden below the window.
> > I posted this earlier to the list, but got no response.
> >

> <nearly random spewwing of potential nonsense>
> I have guessed (not tested) that this is related to the autoraise
> module.  My theory is that the actual menu itself is considered a
> child window of the application calling the menu.  So, if you tell the
> app to show the menu, but don't actually put your mouse pointer on the
> menu that drops down the "parent" window gets autoraised.
> <\nearly random spewwing of potential nonsense>
>
> <wistfull hoping for something that may exist>
> It the above happens to be true, wouldn't it be nice to have a
> feature that would cause the mouse pointer to always jump inside the
> child window.  The would prevent the unwanted parent autoraising
> feature.
> <\wistfull hoping for something that may exist>

Well, if this is the case, it's either poor design, or a bug.  It
doesn't happen all the time, so it's difficult for me to try and
determine exactly what happens that causes it.  It happens to me mostly
with GIMP.  It is terribly frustrating.

> --
>  (__)  Doug Alcorn
>  oo )  (Fledgling XEmacs User)
>  |_/\  alcornd@earthlink.net
>
> --
>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric@denali.atlnet.com

You mean you paid MONEY for Service Pack '98????