Re: Re(2): ASClock shows wrong time

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 14:04:20 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Ron Thompson wrote:

> >#!/bin/csh
> >setenv TZ PST8PDT
> >asclock &
>
> That sounds really cool... and I'll try it when I get home, but I'm just
> curious, what is TZ, and why doesn't it affect the times system-wide?
> Thanks for the help!
>   -Ron

To get that to take effect across the entire system, you will need to set
it is early as possible.  If you are using Slackware, it's actually
something that's accounted for in /etc/login.defs, or on some other
distributions you can put it in /etc/environment as just TZ=CDT6CST or
whatever.  If you're using RH, they have munged it up, and you'll have to
read the documentation posted earlier on how to un-munge it.