Afterstep installation

Vincent Lee (joonhee@hotmail.com)
Wed, 11 Nov 1998 08:05:12 PST

Andrew,

Doesn't Xfree install and make all the links necessary? How will I know
that they ar the right ones? Is there a way to get the makefiles
configure to look straight in the path? or should I install 1.4 and rpm
it which it does fine.

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 13:05:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Andrew Sullivan <asullivan@sprint.ca>
To: afterstep@linuxcenter.com
Subject: Re: Config & install (was: IconBox placement.)

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Vincent Lee wrote:

> There are sym links but for example there would be a link X????->X???
> The next file would be the actual file. Does this make any sense?
>
> Does there have to be a directory in the root directory X11?

Yes, this makes sense.  Depending on your installation, the various bits
of X can be littered everywhere, and then linked to one another.

What you really want to do is follow the /usr/X11R6/ tree down.  Make
sure
everything you need is there, then make sure that the links that you
have
are the right ones.

Many problems in X result simply from not having a single library or
link.

Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (better)| ajsulliv@mcmaster.ca
(worse)
                                   *  *  *