Re: Menus - all the stuff at the bottom

Tony Nugent (Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:33:02 +1000

On Thu Nov 12 1998 at 10:46, "L. Jack Reese" wrote:

>    If that doesn't work, make sure you compiled AS with --disable-fixeditems.
>    This is the default, unless you got a RedHat rpm.
>
> Thanks for the info - my problem is due to the RPM.
> Is there some reason that this default was selected for the RPM?

By default, RedHat uses wmconfig each time you start up an X session, which
rudely overwrites most of the config directory stuff each time.  So if you
make any changes, they'll probably disappear next time.

I was routinely calling afterstep from my ~/.xinitrc file, and had done a
fair bit of work to my own setup.  But out of curiousity one day, I decided
to run the default /etc/X11/xinitrc/Xclients script instead (and let it
find my ~/.wm_style file to run afterstep).

What resulted was the loss of many hours of work that I had put into my
custom configuration.  OUCH!

At least (thank gohd!) the config files in ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/ are
left alone, but the subdirectories are totally destroyed.

Can someone please tell me why they (redhat? wmconfig? xinit rpm?) set
things up like this, to deliberately overwrite all my configuration files
each time it is started up?

Very ugly.  It should happen if ~/GNUstep doesn't exist, then never again.

Which brings me to another point...

IMHO, ~/GNUstep should be called ~/.GNUstep to "hide" the directory.

Cheers
Tony