Re: Upgrading from 1.4.5.55N6-1 to 1.5-0.7

Tony Nugent (Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au)
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 10:22:29 +1000

Hi, I'm newly subscribed here.  Been using afterstep now for a couple of
months.  Great wm, very nice.  But I'm not sure if I'm getting the most out
of it, or doing things exactly right, which is why I've joined the list...

On Thu Nov 12 1998 at 01:57, Steve Ki-Won Lee wrote:

> Ok, so that's what I want to do, with rpms.  I've checked out the rpm2html
> site already and I have all the libs I require among other things.
>
> My main question is, will it save my existing config files, such as wharf,
> pager and etc?  Should I just cp the whole /usr/share/afterstep dir to
> some safe place and then perform the upgrade just in case?  What else
> should I be aware of for the upgrade?  Thank you very much in advance.

I upgraded my RH 5.1 box with the new afterstep rpm from the 5.2
distribution (haven't bothered to upgrade the entire system yet).  So I
went from AS-1.4.5.3 to AS-1.5 -- and there was quite a big difference!

This is what I would recommend from my experiences.

Save your old customised configuration directory/files somewhere, ie cp
~/GNUstep ~GNUstep.old

Upgrade with the new rpm as usual (rpm -U).

Let your default redhat /usr/X11/xinit/Xclients program do it's ugly things
with wmconfig for the first time after finding the word "afterstep" in your
~/.wm_style file, then never use it again.

After this, exec afterstep directly from your ~/.xinitrc file rather than
let /etc/X11/xinit/Xclients do it's ugly deed of continually overwriting
your own config files.

Then have a look at what you've got.  The wmconfig stuff does set up some
very nice defaults, some of it in ~/GNUstep and the rest of it in
/usr/share/afterstep.  Copy what's missing in ~/GNUstep from
/usr/share/afterstep so that you have total control over the custimising.

Then go through the new config files... there are some big differences, and
I had to make quite a lot of changes to integrate my old setup files to
work better with the new features. (eg, my custom-built Wharf and Zharf
modules, look.*, feel.* files, and so on).

I like the new features btw... good work everyone!  Sticky menus - VERY
nice, little balloons - cute.  It's getting better and better...

But I am finding some problems here and there, but I'm not sure if it's
just bad config or real bugs.

Cheers
Tony