Re: no menus, no buttons, no resize, no move

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 13:46:11 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 ebi@ozob.net wrote:

> Also I had to copy /usr/src/AfterStep-1.5beta5/ to /usr/X11R6/share to get
> AS to start.

This sounds like something went wrong.  Did you install as root?  If not,
you'll have problems.

> I did ./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6 so the stuff installed there except
> for the /usr/X11R6/share stuff.

Maybe you didn't get all the configs copied to a place that afterstep is
looking?

> Also I have only one afterstep binary, 1.5b5.

i.e. you type "afterstep -v" at a command prompt, and that's what it
reports?  But after what you said above, I think I know what the problem
is.

> Can you tell me what determines which look and feel files are used on
> startup?

Yes.  First it checks for the references in your ~/G/L/A/non-configurable
directory.  If there isn't one, it looks for your ~/G/L/A/[looks|feels]/,
and then /usr/local/share/afterstep (or wherever the config files are
going to be).

The problem, I expect, is that you didn't use the install-script.  There
are _two_ different directories for AS: one for the binaries, and one for
the system-wide config files.  AfterStep is, I'll bet, looking for files
that aren't there.  That's also why you get no titlebar buttons: there
aren't any pixmaps for them where AS is looking.  (Indeed, as you're not
even getting the look or feel in, the pimap path isn't even defined.)

I think you should remove the program, and recompile & install.  I'd
suggest using the install script if you can.  Alternatively, you'll need
to make sure that the path for the binaries and the path for the config
files is the place where you put those items.

A.

                                   *  *  *
                Go to http://lowrent.org/asfaq/, or issue