Re: no menus, no buttons, no resize, no move

ebi@ozob.net
Mon, 16 Nov 1998 14:36:34 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 1998, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Nov 1998 ebi@ozob.net wrote:
>
> > Also I had to copy /usr/src/AfterStep-1.5beta5/ to /usr/X11R6/share to get
> > AS to start.
>
> This sounds like something went wrong.  Did you install as root?  If not,
> you'll have problems.

Yes.

> > I did ./configure --prefix=/usr/X11R6 so the stuff installed there except
> > for the /usr/X11R6/share stuff.
>
> Maybe you didn't get all the configs copied to a place that afterstep is
> looking?
>
> > Also I have only one afterstep binary, 1.5b5.
>
> i.e. you type "afterstep -v" at a command prompt, and that's what it
> reports?  But after what you said above, I think I know what the problem
> is.

AfterStep v. 1.5.0 beta 4 is what afterstep -v shows . But I installed it
from the AfterStep-1.5beta5 directory.

> > Can you tell me what determines which look and feel files are used on
> > startup?
>
> Yes.  First it checks for the references in your ~/G/L/A/non-configurable
> directory.  If there isn't one, it looks for your ~/G/L/A/[looks|feels]/,
> and then /usr/local/share/afterstep (or wherever the config files are
> going to be).

Yes but which one will it use look.DEFAULT and feel.DEFAULT?

> The problem, I expect, is that you didn't use the install-script.  There
> are _two_ different directories for AS: one for the binaries, and one for
> the system-wide config files.  AfterStep is, I'll bet, looking for files
> that aren't there.  That's also why you get no titlebar buttons: there
> aren't any pixmaps for them where AS is looking.  (Indeed, as you're not
> even getting the look or feel in, the pimap path isn't even defined.)

I didn't use the install-script. It is as if AS is not detecting any mouse
clicks.

Pixmaps dirs are correctly defined.

> I think you should remove the program, and recompile & install.  I'd
> suggest using the install script if you can.  Alternatively, you'll need
> to make sure that the path for the binaries and the path for the config
> files is the place where you put those items.

Ok, I did this after removing or moving all AS related binaries and dirs.
Still the same thing.

I am clueless. I have been using AS since 1.0 without trouble. My last
version was 1.4 I think.

Thanks agian,

::::: Gene Imes			     http://www.ozob.net :::::