Re: Patches

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Tue, 17 Nov 1998 14:03:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Ian Oatley - Site Support wrote:

> If I patch the source code and then re-compile and
> install will I lose any of my hard worked config?

Your configuration files should all work.  It's nevertheless better to
rename your ~/G/L/A directory, let it be re-created by the patched AS, and
then copy the files one at a time.  Mill's methods, don't you know.

> Do I have to re-compile at all??!!

Yep.  Only way to get the patched binary.

> Also I am familiar with patch, but is there any considerations
> when patching afterstep.

Not particularly.  One of the patches was not made against
"AfterStep-current", so that might cause you some consternation, but
don't worry.

Of course, you could just wait for the 1.5.0 release, which should be out
Real Soon Now.

A.

                                   *  *  *
                Go to http://lowrent.org/asfaq/, or issue