Re: Patches

Ethan (allanon@crystaltokyo.com)
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 01:19:47 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998, Vincent Lee wrote:

> Ok well I'm hoping there will be someone here who can help me because  I
> am totally determined to get this window manager working.
>
> I installed Xfree86 3.2.2.3 with XF86_SVGA drivers for the RIVA128
> chipset. The symbolic links were not created so I made them.
> ln-s /usr/X11R6 X11 (in /usr/X11)

This doesn't sound right.  To create the link, do:

cd /usr
ln -s X11R6 X11

It sounds like you have both /usr/X11R6 and /usr/X11 already, though?  If
so, and both of them are real directories instead of symbolic links, then
one of them should be removed, probably /usr/X11.  For now, until you
have things sorted out, just:

cd /usr
mv X11 X11_old
ln -s X11R6 X11

> I changed my bash profile to reflect the new path.
>
> I still get errors from the make files that say X11/lib/<file>.h not
                                                      ^^^
> found.  I spooled out the errors to aa file and it doesn't show these
> errors. Can someone let me know what they think? Anyone have this
> problem before?

Hopefully you meant include.  It shouldn't be looking in X11/lib for
header files. :)

To spool make errors to a file under bash, I use:

make > make_log 2>&1

----
Ethan Fischer
allanon@crystaltokyo.com