Re: theme config strategy

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:12:17 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Albert Dorofeev wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I heard this on IRC a few days ago but I totally forgot
> about it. Now I suddenly remembered so I post this to
> keep the information from disappearing :)
>
> So, somebody was asking if it is possible to configure
> the decorations not only by changing look, background
> picture etc one by one but to add something like
> themes.
>
> You would have a menu of themes and when you choose one
> AS would read the description of the theme and change
> all the attributes at once according to the theme.
> This may include Wharf background, root window background,
> look, feel, something else?

Personally, I prefer that approach, since most people's general feeling of
ennui with a window manager comes from there not being the click-to-focus,
or sloppy-focus that they're used to.  I've been seriously considering
putting together a themeing *kit* for AfterStep, but I'm basically waiting
for 1) ascp to get finished so I can see what it's focusing on, and if I
can just integrate something into it, and 2) 1.5 final so I don't have to
worry about changing the configuration engine.

Of course, it would be nice if Mandrake would finish the Gtk bindings for
perl, since I still suck at C.  :)  then I could make something sweet.