Re: Problem with AS 1.5.5

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 14:45:27 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Robert Croy wrote:

> I compiles the newest beta and it seemed to install ok but there is no
> ~/GNU/.../... folders in my home directory.  There is an Afterstep
> folder in usr/local/share and it seems to be the most recent one.  But
> when I do startx I still get the old Afterstep 1.0.  Looking at the
> install script and the configure script I didn't see any function that
> would create the GNU folder.  What am I doing wrong?

Two things.  (This is actually covered in the latest FAQ, but it's quite
new, so here goes):

1.	~/G/L/A _does_ get automatically created the first time you run
later versions of AS; but in your case, it will only contain a
non-configurable directory, and will otherwise use the files from the
afterstep directory you mentioned.  Copy items from that directory to your
~/G/L/A directory if you wish to change the defaults.  But,

2.	How do you get AS 1.5b_n_ to work?  This is a problem, because the
earlier versions installed in other directories (usually /usr/X11R6/bin/)
than the current default (which is in the /usr/local tree).  If the new
binaries are later in your path than the old binaries, you will get the
old binaries.  You can fix this either by specifying the old path as an
install directory, or by finding the old binaries, and removing them.
(FWIW, I did the latter.)

A.

                                   *  *  *
                Go to http://lowrent.org/asfaq/, or issue