Re: FAQ suggestions WAS: 1.5 dosent find X11 [was Re: IconBox

Jordy Simpson (vampire@rubyred.com)
Mon, 9 Nov 1998 10:34:58 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 9 Nov 1998, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> > explain to someone new to Linux/Unix.  Andrew, could we put a line in
> > the FAQ about needing the includes that come in the devel packages?
>
> Actually, it's already there.  The problem is usually that people don't
> bother to read the FAQ:

I agree.  If we could get more people to read the FAQ, they would have a
significantly easier time getting AS to run the way they want.

> > 2.5 Why do I keep getting compile errors?
>
> If someone has suggestions on making this clearer, however, I'd be happy
> to hear them.
>
> A.
>
> Andrew Sullivan | asullivan@sprint.ca (better)| ajsulliv@mcmaster.ca (worse)

How about a section before 2.5 simply called "What do I need in order to
compile AfterStep?".  It could contain which libraries are necessary,
which distributions/version of unix it will compile on, and which
compilers it works with.

This way, the information would be in both places... one for people who
rtfm first, and one for people who rtfm lat.  :-)

-Jordy

Jordy Simpson			| System Operator, BOFH
vampire@violin.aracnet.com	| Aracnet Internet Services
vampire@rubyred.com		| http://www.aracnet.com/
http://www.rubyred.com/		| 503-626-7696 -=+=- 360-696-9574
     __   _
   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /  . . .  t h e   c h o i c e   o f   a