Re: installation question

Tomas Duewiger (td@music-satellite.de)
14 Dec 1998 19:13:02 +0100

Nathan Widmyer <contramac@mindspring.com> writes:

> Thomas, what you told him command-line wise was incorrect.  It won't
> return anything anyway because package names include version numbers, not
> just XFree86-devel.

That's new to me. rpm -q packagename_without_number returns the name
_with_ the number. rpm don't care about the number.
I got a RedHat 5.1 running (same as Schaible) and tested the command before
posting to make sure that I don't post shit. And here 'rpm -q
XFree86-devel' returns a 'XFree86-devel-3.3.2.3-18' a 'rpm -q foo-bar'
returns 'package foo-bar is not installed' and a 'rpm -q
XFree86-devel-3.3.2.3-17' returns the same because I got patchlevel
18 installed.

This is just to avoid confusion for all the new rpm users.

Tomas

--
Tomas Duewiger
td@music-satellite.de