Re: installation question

Michal Vitecek (M.Vitecek@sh.cvut.cz)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 03:54:17 +0100

 i couldn't resist....

   Nathan -

   1) go wash your eyes and check the previous mails in this thread. i
 never said anything about 'a command similar to 'rpm -q Xfree'' (to cite
 u). u REALLY should CHECK before u say such a thing, that obviously is
 not true. i was only talking how misleading the labelling RH made up is
 and that rpm is NOT the only superiour choice to package management.  go
 and READ ALL the previous mails in this thread - u'll see how terrible
 wrong u are.
   2) not a single person here really cares what such a guy like u thinks
 about RH, other distributions or other operating systems. u have _no_ (or
 very little) experience with other distributions or operating systems as
 it got out pretty clear by what u said so far.
   3) i advise u to finally shut up and go after your little world where
 u're the only one that's always right .... u're misleading, saying crap
 out of your inexperience, and igniting threads about nothing in common to
 this ML (which is for AfterStep - u know what AfterStep is, don't u?
 cool.)

    okay,
	    this thread is finished for me,

			fuf

p.s.: it really reminds me of a person who says: 'hey - u're all crazy and
wrong! i'm the _only_ aeroplane here!!!!!'

Nathan Widmyer wrote:
>I'm getting tired of people like you and Michal trying to start something.  Michal
>typed one or more incorrect commands, I was merely correcting him.  For those
>people that don't understand simple commands like Doug here's the breakdown of why
>I said to use my statement over Michal's.
>
>1. Michal used a command similar to 'rpm -q Xfree'.  First of all, XFree rpm's all
>have capital F's, I don't know if this is a simple typographical error or what.
>Second, it will look for packages only names 'Xfree' and nothing else, no wildcards
>are allowed.  rpm requires the exact name.
>
>2.  I proposed to use 'rpm -qa | grep devel'.  The 'rpm -qa' part gives out a full
>list of all packages and the pipe symbol (|) pipes or sends all output to the
>command by invoking the command.  What grep does is look in each line of text sent
>to it and writes to screen.  I said to use that because there could be diferent
>versions than what I have and my way is the best way.  If you want to get better,
>you could use 'rpm -qa | grep XFree86-devel' and you'll get just one (hopefully).
>
>Also, since Doug decided to jump into conversation without an invitation, I am not
>misleading people, if anything it is Michal misleading others.  The thread about
>tar.gz vs. rpm started because of Michal bad mouthing Red Hat and I brought up one
>of the many reasons why Red Hat is better than others and you, Doug, Michal and
>others would bring up reasons why your distribution is superior.  Doug, Doug Doug,
>I know alot more about what I'm talking about because what I said works and if you
>can't understand that it does, then go worry about something else.  I am
>considering this thread ending right now.  Take note that if anyone else, Doug,
>Michal or otherwise continues this thread, that the consider it a personal matter
>and not a mailing list related matter.  Otherwise, drop it cause I am.  Good day
>and Merry Christmas.  Nathan.
>
>Doug Alcorn wrote:
>
>> Nathan, I am getting tired of you posting incorrect posts and not
>> thinking about what you write.  This mailing list is for us to 1) help
>> people who are having problems and 2) talk about desired features,
>> etc.
>>
>> You are misleading people and need to stop.  Your thread about tar.gz
>> vs. rpm showed a lack of understanding of package management.  Now,
>> this post shows you don't even understand the commandline switches for
>> rpm.  Please do some research before you post here.
>> --
>>  (__)  Doug Alcorn
>>  oo )  alcornd@earthlink.net
>>  |_/\
>>
>> --
>>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
>>    MAIL:  http://www.caldera.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html
>

>--
>   WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>   FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
> [...]

 BillGates [bgates@www.microsoft.com] has joined #LINUX
 mode/#linux [+b BillGates!*@*] by DoDad
 BillGates was kicked off #linux by DoDad (banned: We see enough of Bill
          Gates already.)