Re: Tar slow as heck!

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:57:25 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Doug wrote:

> Hello
> I havent done anything to anything latley, but now my tar is soo extremely
> slow.

The only thing I can think of here is that you have some process running
that you don't happen to know about, and it is using a lot of cycles.

Any kind of decompressing is bound to take quite a few cycles, and tar
itself is not exactly a lean program in use.  So check 'ps -aux', and see
what you get.  If tar and gzip have to share with some other heavy
process, you're bound to get problems.  Also, check 'top', for the same
reason.

Obviously, the more guru-ish on the list will have better suggestions than
I do.

                                   *  *  *
                Go to http://lowrent.org/asfaq/, or issue