Re: Tar slow as heck!

Dagmar d'Surreal (dagmar@estates.ml.org)
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:55:33 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Doug wrote:

> Hello
> I havent done anything to anything latley, but now my tar is soo extremely
> slow.
> Do you know how long it took me to un-tar afterstep? like 1 or 2 hours!
> i do a " tar -zxvpf filename.tar.gz " and it will uncompress one file about
> every 5-10 seconds! there is no variation in speed. I know its not because
> i have a slow pc, i have Redhat5.0 hurricane, a Pentium Pro 266, with 48MB
> RAM. thank you
> 		Doug

1. Check to make sure you're not out of disk space.

2. Check top to see if something is sucking down all your clock cycles.

3. STOP overclocking your CPU if you're doing so.

If none of these three things work, then you need to take your computer to
a repair shop because something is fried.

I'll also forgo the usual "qhy did you post this question to the Afterstep
list?" harassment, since I'm sure everyone is tired of doing it by now.