AS and CDE?

Dave Taira (bodhi@foad.org)
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 20:30:42 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 15:33:51 -0700 (MST)
> From: Jan Sacharuk <jan@ugrad.cs.ualberta.ca>
> Subject: AS and CDE?
>
> Alternatively, if I'm thinking of a different ML, could
> someone tell me if it's possible to integrate AS into a system that is
> using CDE, and how?

So far, the easiest way I've seen to make AS your window manager on a
system that has CDE installed is to do a command line login from the CDE
login screen, then manually do a startx/xinit with "exec afterstep" in
your .xinitrc.

I did once work in an HPUX environment where one of the other sysadmins
managed to hack things up so that a login with the CDE GUI would exec
your preferred window manager, but it involved setting the CDE window
manager variable (dtsomething or other) to /bin/true. CDE gives me a rash. 8)

Dave Taira     | Broken pipes, broken tools, people bending broken rules /   |
Hired Gun      | Hound dog howlin', bullfrog croakin' / Everything is broken |
bodhi@foad.org | --Bob Dylan, "Everything is Broken"                         |