Re: screenshots

Benjamin J. Tracy (tracy@wsicorp.com)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:07:56 -0500 (EST)

>From the xwd man page on an SGI: (presumably similar for other platforms)

          -root   This option indicates that the root window should be
                  selected for the window dump, without requiring the
                  user to select a window with the pointer.

          -id id  This option indicates that the window with the
                  specified resource id should be selected for the
                  window dump, without requiring the user to select a
                  window with the pointer.

Thus, you should be able to do something like the following from your
prompt:

$ sleep 3 ; xwd -root -out shot.xwd

Which would give you 3 seconds to bring up the start menu after you hit
return, or:

$ sleep 3 ; xwd -id <id #> -out windowshot.xwd

The id number can be determined using xwininfo or the Ident module.

And the moral of today's story is: check the man page first! :) I
understand however, that sometimes the man pages are horribly unclear.

HTH
Ben