Re: AS: ICQ??

Doommaker (dmaker@alfheim.net)
Fri, 25 Dec 1998 22:24:00 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Dec 1998, Imran Hayat wrote:

> Licq!? Wow... thanks guys. I didn't even know there WERE all those
> Linux ICQ clones. :) Phew. Hmmmm... Licq looks nice but it's still
> (apparently) not fully stable. I guess I'll just wait for a stable
> version. Looks really promising though! (Or is there another GUI-based
> ICQ clone that works, and works well in AS??) :)

Licq is very stable.  But if you want to try other things, check:

http://www.portup.com/~gyandl/icq/

>    Oh also... I downloaded Gimp 1.0 but I guess I need Glib and GTK+.
> GTK plus's newer releases seem to be development only, and the older
> stuff doesn't seem to be compatible with Gimp 1.0. :~( Ugh. I guess I'll
> just wait till everything has a stable release?? (Or are the development
> versions good enough?)

Gimp 1.0 requires GTK+ 1.0.x  If you want to use GTK 1.1.x, you have to
use Gimp 1.1 which is a development release (but still works well)

>     So what do you guys think about the current AS release?? I mean..
> I'm still at 1.0 here. No themes or anything. :*( Should I get the newer
> stable version? (1.6 is it??) Would I need anything else to bring my 1.0
> up to 1.6 level?? :) So I should just.. download the new AS and just
> compile/install that or do I need to worry about this 1.0 version
> first?? (delete,etc.?)

It's definitely time to move to 1.6.0.  Just make sure you have libXpm and
libjpeg and if you want, libpng.  Other than that, it's a fairly simple
install.  If you don't have anything special going on in your 1.0, i'd
just remove it all and install 1.6.0 fresh.

--
dmaker@alfheim.net