rxvt and fonts

Dave Taira (bodhi@foad.org)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 00:27:51 -0800 (PST)

> Date: Thu, 3 Dec 1998 23:54:12 -0700 (MST)
> From: Steve Ki-Won Lee <kiwon@ugrad.cs.ualberta.ca>
> Subject: rxvt and font specifications
>
> If someone has successfully configured rxvt to use your instructed fonts,
> I'd appreciate it if you could share with me as to how you  did it.

Actually, this has nothing to do with rxvt AFAIK. This is an X question.
Look at the man page for xset.

> I'm running XFree86-SVGA, libs, 75dpi-fonts, 100dpi-fonts, devel, VGA16
> all in 3.3.2, rxvt 2.4.8 all in rpms.  Thank you very much in advance.

It sounds like you're using pretty standard stuff, so it's a little
strange, but I'd guess your font path isn't set. In my .xinitrc, I have
	xset fp+ /usr/local/fonts
	xset fp rehash
which assures my X apps can find those fonts. Start X, and in a terminal
window, do `xset q`, and that'll tell you your font path. Find out where
your fonts live, and make sure your font path includes them. Also, within
a given font directory, there should be a fonts.dir and possibly a
fonts.alias. Make sure the fonts you want to use are listed in there.
See also mkfontdir.

ObOffTopic: I noticed tonight (prompted by thinking about fonts) that AS doesn't
seem to support pcf fonts. I also discovered that Netscape doesn't seem to
recognize them, either. Anyone happen to know of a tool to convert pcf to
bdf?

Dave Taira     | Broken pipes, broken tools, people bending broken rules /   |
Hired Gun      | Hound dog howlin', bullfrog croakin' / Everything is broken |
bodhi@foad.org | --Bob Dylan, "Everything is Broken"                         |