ascascade and astile (fwd)

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 14:40:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I received this e-mail, and since I know nothing about the code, thought
I'd just pass it along to the list.  I received permission from the
author, so here it is.

                                   *  *  *
                Go to http://lowrent.org/asfaq/, or issue
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 17:50:39 +0000 (GMT)
From: general@smilodon.demon.co.uk
To: asullivan@sprint.ca
Subject: ascascade and astile

Hi, I'm posting to you as you are listed as an Afterstep coordinator.

It says in the 1.5beta6 TODO directory that astile and ascascade don't
work at all. I was looking at the start menu configuration, and found that
the entry for tile, for example,  reads as

Tile -h 10 10 90 90
MiniPixmap "mini-as.xpm"

If that first line is made consistant with the format of the other
entries, to:

Module "Tile" Tile -h 10 10 90 90

and the startmenu is updated, Tile works.
Tile doesn't look quite right yet:
1) it demands that the highest numbered window is repositioned before
doing its business, and
2) it looks like there might be an off-by-one error of some sort in the positioning of
the windows - the tiled windows start one tile-width across the screen -  but it IS
working.

Making a similar startmenu modification for Cascade seems to get that
working as well - on the left of my screen I have a series of cascaded
windows at this very moment (again, this first kicks off a window
positioning for the highest numbered window on the desk)

I hope I'm not wasting your time, but the buglist DID say these programs
don't work at all....

Malcolm Farmer
general@smilodon.demon.co.uk
(or  farmermj@isdugp.bham.ac.uk at work)