Re: A new afterstepdoc approach?

Doug Alcorn (alcornd@earthlink.net)
09 Dec 1998 09:59:12 -0500

Andrew Sullivan <asullivan@sprint.ca> writes:

> I have some ideas about how to implement the approach, but I want to see
> if this sort of unified doc hierarchy is worth pursuing.  Also, any
> additional "tree" item suggestions are (of course) welcome.

I think this is a good idea.  Personally, I would like to see _all_ AS
documentation in the same tree.  Eventually (meaning, "once they're
written"), we could also include design documents and developer's
notes in the same tree.  Along these lines, should the man pages
source be in this tree?

Andrew, you are an sgml-tools kindof guy, is there an easy way to
convert *roff source to sgml?  I could see the same directory tree you
specified as actually comming off of the startmenu.  This way, you
could jump right to the part of the docs that you wanted easily.  As
such, it would be nice to be able to export the man pages to another
format (like ps, or html).

Just my thoughts.  As far as the work goes, I know a little HTML and a
little more LaTeX (I am partial to good markup lagnuages).  If the
work needs to be done in sgml, I have been wanting to learn that.  So,
with a little hand-holding I can help.  I don't really have any desire
to learn *roff.  That is one reason I would like to see them converted
to another format.  More people could help if they were easier to
write.

BTW, congrats Dave on finishing the afterstep.man stuff!

--
 (__)  Doug Alcorn
 oo )  alcornd@earthlink.net