Re: From 1.0 to 1.6.0, Whew!

Francis GALIEGUE (desdemona@mail.cpod.fr)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:42:04 +0100

Albert Schueller wrote:

> Quoting Francis GALIEGUE (desdemona@mail.cpod.fr):
> > >
> > > Anyway, first I want to mention a real "undocumented feature".  Did you
> > > know that you can still put keystroke commands on the submenus by simply
> > > creating directories with names like:
> > >
> > >         Shells\ \&S
> > >

> > You lost me there?
>
> Suppose you wanted to add a submenu to the default startmenu (the menu
> attached to the left mouse button).  You'd first copy the directory
> /usr/local/share/afterstep/start and its contents to the afterstep
> directory in your $HOME directory.
>
> Then create the subdirectory Shells &S with the command:
>
> cd ~/GNUstep/Library/Afterstep/start
> mkdir Shells\ \&S
>
> This will create a subdirectory with the name Shells &S the slashes in the
> mkdir command protect the space and the ampersand from being interpreted by
> your unix shell.  Now update your startmenu by choosing the appropriate
> command under the Desktop submenu on the startmenu.  Next look at your
> new start menu.  There should be a new submenu names "Shells".  Now if you
> leave the startmenu up and type "S" the Shell submenu will pop up (it's
> empty, so it won't be very interesting).  It's the &S in the directory name
> that makes the keystroke command work.  If your startmenu can be brought up
> with a keystroke, like mine can, and you've created your submenus and
> commands with & notation, then you can traverse your entire startmenu using
> the keyboard.  It really works well for me.

Thanks for the tip :)

In the same kind, how can I bind the startmenu to a keystroke?

What if I want to bind it to a key which is not defined in the keymap
(I'm thinking about the three winslow keys aside of the space bar, with
keycodes resp. 115, 116, 177 here)?

Oh, and if you had any references about X programming... I read the
source of asmem and wow, so much to do for such a little app :/ Indeed,
I want to understand but don't know where to start... Man pages are no
help as long as you don't get the concepts lying behind, and though the
code is clear enough there are blackholes I want to fill :)

--
	fg

"Computers are like air conditioners - they stop working properly when
you open Windows"