Re: installation question

Michal Vitecek (M.Vitecek@sh.cvut.cz)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 22:39:26 +0100

   well - because of RH splitting the Xpm, X and other packages into
 libraries, header files and static libraries, many RH newbies have
 problems with compiling stuff just because they thought having the
 libraries is enough. (it is enough, but only for running already compiled
 programs, not for compiling your own programs of course).
   note that i wasn't talking about the functionality of rpm program
 itself nor the RH distribution. i was talking about the misleading way
 guys at RH chose for packaging things.

btw.: rpm is not the only solution to package management and dependency -
look at debian's deb. also in slackware and *bsd systems there are *.tgz
packages which can be handled by special package commands (pkgtool,
pkg_add, pkg_delete) which preserve the dependency. so .tar.gz is not that
bad and rpm is not the only way.

--
			fuf

 BillGates [bgates@www.microsoft.com] has joined #LINUX
 mode/#linux [+b BillGates!*@*] by DoDad
 BillGates was kicked off #linux by DoDad (banned: We see enough of Bill
          Gates already.)