Re: pager weirdness

Peter Amstutz (tetron@student.umass.edu)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 18:12:09 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Peter Amstutz wrote:
>
> > The default configuration doesn't do this, but a few tweaks
> > and it tickles some odd bug out...  Has anyone seen this behavior?  Any
> > clues on how to go about debugging it?
>
> Well, what tweaks to begin with?

Afterstep version 1.6.6 -

$ diff pager.default pager.foo
12c12
< #BalloonYOffset               2
---
> BalloonYOffset                -1
30c30
< *PagerGeometry       -1+19
---
> *PagerGeometry       +1-1
35c35
< #*PagerImage     0
~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable/0_background
---
> *PagerImage     0        ~/otherstuff/images/hyakutake_pager.jpg
45c45
< *PagerDesktopImage   0
~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable/0_background
---
> *PagerDesktopImage   0       ~/otherstuff/images/hyakutake_bg.jpg
94c94
< *PagerLabel          0       Work
---
> *PagerLabel          0       Hyakutake
99c99
< *PagerColumns        4
---
> *PagerColumns        1

I've been experimenting with configuration, and from what I can tell the
most likely culprit is the background, *PagerImage and/or
*PagerDesktopImage.

I've tried them with both .jpgs and .xpms, and have seen crashes with
both. Crashes started appearing when I modified *PagerColumns, but due to
the arbitrary nature of the problem, I really can't pinpoint what config
is causing the problem - it works just fine maybe 2/3 of the time.

Also, I've noticed that restarting Afterstep causes a memory leak in
XFree86 3.3.1.  I realize that this is a relatively old server, but there
is clearly a problem somewhere - I would restart afterstep and watch X's
memory comsumption rise... 8%... 10%... 15%... 20%... At 50% totaly memory
usage (my box has 64mb RAM/64mb swap) I had to restart the sever entirly!

I don't think 1.4 had these problems...  Granted, it had issues of it's
own (like the amazing dissapearing rollup window, that is, start rolling
up a window and switch screens on the desktop and watch the window
dissapear completely - fixed in 1.6 fortunatly)...

Anyway, any ideas?

           ------- Student, Hacker, Segfault.org Editor --------
           -- tetron@segfault.org  http://www.tfn.net/~amstpi --