Re: Afterstep under win32

Joe Polchlopek (joe@netcom.duke.edu)
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:12:39 -0500 (EST)

David,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I didn't want to be too verbose on my first post to the list, but I have
to tell you that I only use NT because I'm required to run the worst
application ever developed - Lotus Notes!!!  :( Aside from that I'm free
to do what ever I like with my workstation, so I installed Solaris 7 and I
dual boot between Solaris and NT, but that gets old.  So I thought I'd
make the best of a bad situation and try Afterstep on the NT side so I
could keep from having to reboot just to run Notes.  Not to mention that
Afterstep looks so cool compared to the Windows desktop.

By the way, Lotus does make a Notes client for Sparc/Solaris, which I was
running on my Sparc 10, but had to give it up because I needed the disk
space.

The reason I posted to the mailing list rather than straight going to the
guy who has the Win32 web page is because in the README file he didn't
sound like he had a lot of support to offer.

Thanks again.

--Joe

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, David Mihm wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Joe Polchlopek wrote:
>
> ! I just subscribed to the list, so please be gentle.  :)
>
> 	Ahhhhhhhhh, death to the winblows users! :)
>
> ! Where's the best place to get info on running Afterstep under win32?
> ! I've done everything described on <http://www.alfheim.net/aswin32/>.
> ! Everything is configured properly and works ...
>
> 	The author of the web page/port of the windows version of
> afterstep.  This is the only resource for the windows version (that one
> guy).
>
> ! ... but I don't know how to get over the last hurdle, replacing the
> ! Windows desktop.
>
> 	c:\ format c:  :)
>
> ! ... I'm running WinNT
>
> 	Sorry to hear that. :)
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | d a v i d  @  m i h m                         reality.sys corrupt! |
> | davemann-at-ionet-dot-net                    reboot universe(y,n)? |
> | [www|ftp].the-site.dsis.net                             ICQ:906859 |
> | [www|ftp].the-site.loonybin.net                                    |
> | webmaster-at-afterstep-dot-org      ftpmaster-at-afterstep-dot-org |
>   Key fingerprint  = E4 90 15 ED E5 9F 18 8A B0 CC FF 68 61 36 4A 6F
>

> --
>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/

  -- Joe Polchlopek ----------------------------- joe@netcom.duke.edu --
/    Network Systems Analyst                     phone (919) 419-5315    \
\    http://www.netcom.duke.edu/~joe/              fax (919) 402-8463    /
  -- Duke University -- Ste 400, University Tower -- Durham, NC 27707 --