Re: [Repost] AfterStep Pager feature request

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:14:19 -0600

>Sasha Vasko wrote about Re: [Repost] AfterStep Pager feature request:
>:Pager does not keep duplicate pixmaps right now. Duplicate are pixmaps
>:with the same file name ( not the check sum, which can be the same for
>:different images (hypoteticaly)).

>Ah, the same name in the config file for pager?  What about when people
correct.
>do a background change dynamically on the desktop?

You just set it to be :
*PagerDesktopImage 0 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/0_background
*PagerDesktopImage 1 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/0_background
*PagerDesktopImage 2 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/0_background

that will do the trick.
Of course, if later you decide to use different ackgrounds for different
desks - you will need to modify pger config, prior to changing new images
from
the menu.

I personaly think that this approach is better, and here is why:
The only way to say for sure that images are the same is to compare
files byte by byte. Taking on account that those files can be several megs
in size, you end up comparing several huge files to each other, every time
you start Pager. That will considerably slow startup process down.

I'm sure the majority of AS users will agree to me.
If not - I'm open to suggestions - or, better, new code ;).

>At the moment, I've got hard links in non-configurable, rather than use
>the same name in file ``pager'', which maybe I shouldn't do, but it
>makes it nicer for me to change backgrounds than change the pager file
>where I just have the default suggested format
>(G/L/A = GNUstep/Library/AfterStep):
>*PagerDesktopImage 0 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/0_background
>*PagerDesktopImage 1 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/1_background
>*PagerDesktopImage 2 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/2_background
>*PagerDesktopImage 3 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/3_background
>*PagerDesktopImage 4 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/4_background
>*PagerDesktopImage 5 ~/G/L/A/non-configurable/5_background

>Regards,
>Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441

Sasha