Re: pager weirdness

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 09:53:09 -0600

>On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Peter Amstutz wrote:
>>
>> > The default configuration doesn't do this, but a few tweaks
>> > and it tickles some odd bug out...  Has anyone seen this behavior?
Any
>> > clues on how to go about debugging it?
>>
>> Well, what tweaks to begin with?

>I've been experimenting with configuration, and from what I can tell the
>most likely culprit is the background, *PagerImage and/or
>*PagerDesktopImage.

Make sure you don't have old AfterStep executables in your PATH.
You might have Pager from 1.4 running.

>I've tried them with both .jpgs and .xpms, and have seen crashes with
>both. Crashes started appearing when I modified *PagerColumns, but due to
>the arbitrary nature of the problem, I really can't pinpoint what config
>is causing the problem - it works just fine maybe 2/3 of the time.

Please send me all the following config files so I can debug it :

pager
autoexec
wharf

>Also, I've noticed that restarting Afterstep causes a memory leak in
>XFree86 3.3.1.  I realize that this is a relatively old server, but there
>is clearly a problem somewhere - I would restart afterstep and watch X's
>memory comsumption rise... 8%... 10%... 15%... 20%... At 50% totaly memory

problem is AfterStep is not cleaning Pixmaps it uses (on restart). It looks
like it's fine
with newer XFree86 ( it's cleaning it for you ) but might cause problems
with older ones.
We are aware of this problem, and this is the direction we'll definately
work on.

>usage (my box has 64mb RAM/64mb swap) I had to restart the sever entirly!

I would definately suggest you upgrading your X .
X3.3.1 had some pretty nasty bugs - I could not even run it on my PC - it
kept crashing.

( 3.3.3 is not perfect either, but it's better ;)

Sasha