Re: 1.6.6: Pager dogs window mgr down badly

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:02:49 -0600

Randall Hopper:
>David Mihm:
>|On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:
>|
>|! Randall Hopper:
>|!  |Now it works better with the entries in the Default "Pictures" menu.
>|!
> |! However, I notice that I can't set a new root picture using the
entries in
> |! the "Pictures" menu unless Pager is running.  The root just doesn't
change.
> |! This seems like a bug.
> |
> |  The Pager is what handles the root bg images if selecting them
> |from the menu.  This is how it works for the default settings.
> |  If you don't use the Pager, then you need to go about creating a
> |different method for setting the root bg image.  This could be
> |accomplished my modifying all the fles in the backgrounds/ dir to
actually
> |invoke you favorite image loader (e.g. xv, xli, etc) with the image as
an
> |argument.

>Ok.  So (just to make sure I understand) if a file in backgrounds/* looks
>to AfterStep like an image (XPM, JPEG, etc.) then it implicitly invokes
the
>Pager-internal set-root.  Otherwise, if it looks like a command ("Exec
>...") it tries an explicit command set-root.  Is this right?

I'd like to add to it that if selected item is an image - it gets copied
into
non-configurable/#_background
and message is sent to Pager to reread background for this desk.
Pager reads whatever file is configured in ~/G/L/A/pager for desk
background
and if it is in supported format (XPM,JPG,PNG) it loads it internally.
If image is in unsupported format - it try to run configured at build time
external loader ( xli by default ).
Also if you have the following : *PagerLoaderArgs <desk#>    <args>
( *PagerLoaderArgs    0      -onroot -quiet )                     for
example
it will run external loader even if image is in supported format.

>Thanks for the reply.
>Randall Hopper

Sasha