Re: 1.6.6: Pager dogs window mgr down badly

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 10:14:30 -0600

>Andrew Sullivan:
>|On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:
>|
> |> However, I notice that I can't set a new root picture using the
entries in
> |> the "Pictures" menu unless Pager is running.  The root just doesn't
change.
> |> This seems like a bug.
> |
> |Nope.  That's a feature.  Pager sets the background; ergo, if Pager
> |doesn't run, the background can't get set.
>
>Well, if you use multiple views/desktops, it's not a problem.  But think
>about it from the standpoint of a user who doesn't use views/desktops (and
>maybe doesn't even know that they exist).  From their standpoint, the
>question is:

>     Why doesn't my Pictures menu just "work"?  Pager?  Why should I run
>     this Pager, which is used to switch views/desktops when I don't
switch
>     views/desktops?  The Pictures menu ought to work out-of-the-box,
>     Pager or no Pager.

>Now mind you, I understand the technical reason for having the Pager at
>least initiate the root set when multiple views and/or desktops are used,
>but it doesn't seem like it should have to be "in the loop" when 1 view, 1
>desktop is used for the Pictures menu to work (or multiple views/desktops
>and the user just wants the same Afterstep predefined picture on all
>desktops).

>So maybe the Pictures entries should do something like:

>   if Pager running
>      have Pager switch the desktop root to image X
>   else
>      just set the root to image X

That makes sense, but I'm not sure how difficult that will be  to implement
( detection that Pager is running in particular )

Do I hear voluntier ( as allanon_ says )?
or That will be item #48 on my TODO list. ;)

>Randall Hopper
>aa8vb@vislab.epa.gov

Sasha