Re: 1.6.6: Pager dogs window mgr down badly

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 14:23:50 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Randall Hopper wrote:

> Well, unfortunately it isn't, but thanks for the suggestion.  AfterStep's
> default feel overrides Ctrl-v "globally", preventing the standard PgDn
> (scroll-up) sequence from working in Emacs.
>
> This is completely unacceptable for an Emacs user like myself.  IMO, this
> should be in a Windows-CUA feel which is "not" the default.

This is well-covered in the FAQ, and is also noted in one of the READMEs.
The problem is basically that Emacs requires an ICCCM-compliant wm in
respect of keybindings (i.e. none), for the simple reason that almost
_everything_ is bound somehow in Emacs.  The answer is to use the
feel.ICCCM.

> I'd also like to add my own custom menus (which means a local
> non-configurable), but have as yet not gotten afterstep to allow this and
> still leave the Look, Feel, and Pictures menus in the Desktop menu.

I was going to respond to this from your previous post, but it's better I
do it here.

Looking at the /usr/local/share/afterstep directory, I notice that there
is no "pictures" directory.  Instead, there is a "backgrounds" directory,
which is what (I assume) is called by Pager.  I don't know why this should
affect your startmenu, but it may.  Perhaps this is where the problem is,
I don't know.

This also means, of course, that the section on the startmenu in the FAQ
is misleading.  Sorry, all.  I'll fix it in the next version.

> That does seem to be a problem.  Seems like for these paths in the
> AfterStep config files, AfterStep ought to first try to pull from the
> user's local area, and then from the global.

As far as I know, that _is_ what it does.  Developers?

                                   *  *  *
              Go to http://www.afterstep.org/help/, or issue