Re: 1.6.6: Pager dogs window mgr down badly

Andre Oliveira da Costa (costa@tecgraf.puc-rio.br)
Fri, 08 Jan 1999 15:12:00 -0200

Sasha_Vasko@osca.state.mo.us wrote:
[...]
> O-o You either have afterstep 1.4 installed or you use outdated config
> files
>
> In 1.6 this setting has been changed to :
> *PagerDesktopImage 0
> ~/GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable/1_background
>
> UPGRADE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[...]
> Sasha

I TRIED!!!!! =)

I'll check this out, but I am positively sure that before the
compilation of AS I configured and ran the tools/Uninstall-Old-AfterStep
script, which (among other things) moves the ~/G/L/A dir to
~/G/L/AfterStep.old. The only chance of using old config files is:
versions 1.6.x (at least, maybe 1.4.55N6 did it too, I'm not sure)
install AfterStep by default under /usr/local/share/afterstep, while
previous versions did it under /usr/share/afterstep. When I copied some
files from the (supposed to be) system-wide default dir, I might have
done it from /usr/share instead of /usr/local/share (I only realized
there were two AS global dirs shortly after I installed AS 1.6.6, and I
had already configured version 1.6.0).

So, to make a long story short, it was probably my mistake after all.
But I trusted the upgrade script to get rid of any old directories/files
(after all, I had configured it). IMHO I do think the
Uninstall-Old-AfterStep script should rename any /usr/share/afterstep
dir (or even remove it).

Sorry for any misleading this might have caused...

Cheers,

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa
(costa@tecgraf.puc-rio.br)