Re: afterstep 1.6.6-3

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:30:53 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Simon Beehre wrote:

> I downloaded this version off the net and used Redhats RPM Manager to
> install it, what is the best way to do this upgrade it or install it. I did the
> upgrade and now i cant get back into afterstep it just loads fvwm2-95 all
> the time. Has anyone had this problem before? can anyone help?

There have been endless problems with this.  I gather that the latest RPM
has fixed the source of the problem, but don't quote me: I don't use RPMs,
and am less & less convinced of their utility.  (No, that is not
flamebait, so please, no-one, start!)

The problem is that Red Hat hard-codes the location of AfterStep into a
system-wide default file.  But the location of the AS binary has moved.
If you are planning only to use AfterStep (as any given user), then you
can get around this easily enough by editing your .xinitrc file.  Simply
edit the .xinitrc file to point to the new location of the AS binary; it
should be /usr/local/bin/afterstep.  This should be the last line in your
.xinitrc.

If you want to be able to use the Red Hat system of
window-manager-management (who knew?), then you need to adjust your main,
system-wide Xclients file.  Some-one once told me this is in /usr/etc,
but I don't actually know (as you can tell, I don't use Red Hat).
Basically, you need to move the loaction that RH thinks your AS is in,
from /usr/X11R6/bin to /usr/local/bin.

Andrew

                                   *  *  *
              Go to http://www.afterstep.org/help/, or issue