Re: Can't run afterstep 1.6.[06]

Henning Percy (percy@ferndown.tt.slb.com)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 16:09:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Mark Stacey wrote:

> I've tried to run both afterstep 1.6.0 and afterstep 1.6.6 and i get the
> same problem.
>
> After making and installing it, I set my .xinitrc to load afterstep and when
> I run startx all seems to be going well until x loads up, I get the gray
> background and the X mouse pointer, and then afterstep seg faults and drops
> out to
> the command shell.
>
> I get a core dump file which I can send on if necessary. There are no errors
> in .xsession or the like.
>
> I had a previous version of afterstep, 1.4.55N I think it was and never had
> any trouble, I've removed the .steprc and the G/L/Afterstep directories in
> case they are causing trouble. I'm running Redhat 4.2 with kernel 2.1.128.
> My X server is 3.3.2.
>
> Anyone any clues as to what's going on or where can i find out more
> information?

	I;ve had problems like this. My problems were with missing libraries.
The problem I had was that the errors were being output whilst X was tring to
run the window manager and so I didn't see them. To solve this I piped
everything to a file (I use csh) called 'x_errors' :

	startx >&! x_errors

	Then just look at the file x_errors and see what it says is the problem.

	Hope this helps.

	Henning.

Henning Percy                          Email : henning@ferndown.tt.slb.com
Schlumberger ATE,                      Tel   :          +44 (0)1202 850 850
Ferndown Product Development Centre,   Tel   : (Direct) +44 (0)1202 850 868
Ferndown Industrial Estate,            Fax   :          +44 (0)1202 850 990
Wimborne, Dorset. BH21 7PP. UK.