Re: Solaris troubles

Ron Smith (rasmith@cerf.net)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 10:25:49 +0000

	My current problem is getting the libz.so file. I downloaded and
installed zlib, but only ended up with a libz.a file in /usr/local/lib,
with no sign of a libz.so file. I did installed libpng before it, and
that went well. The zlib install should have put a number of libz.*
files in /usr/local/lib and used ln to link them.
	Is there any place where I can get a pre-compiled binary of libz.so?
The ones zlib had were not for Solaris.
	Thanks again.

Rafal Wierzbicki wrote:

> As I am the person who made the solaris binary I would guess I know
> exactly what the binary is like.  To get it going you need a shared
> libz.so.  If it's not installed on the system, you can compile it in your
> home directory, put it say in ~/lib and add this line to your login
> scripts: setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH ~/lib (for csh and relatives users) or
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib;export LD_LIBRARY_PATH (for sh, etc, users).
>
> On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Benjamin J. Tracy wrote:
>

> > I don't think so..
> >
> > If the program compiled in the first place it had to at least have the
> > include files for zlib right?   I've had problems like this on other
> > platforms (SGI,HP) and generally it has to do with the shared library path
> > which of course is handled differently on every platform.  Any Solaris
> > gurus know how to set it?
> >
> > Ben
> >
> > On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Rafal Wierzbicki wrote:
> >

> > > jpeg and png support are statically compiled into the binary, zlib is not
> > > however, you need a copy of zlib installed on your system.

> > > --
> > >    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
> > >    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
> > >    MAIL:  http://www.caldera.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html