Re: Solaris troubles

Mehul Sanghvi (mehul@kirsun.ne.mediaone.net)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:56:04 -0500 (EST)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 08:22:30 +0000
> From: Ron Smith <rasmith@cerf.net>
> Subject: Re: Solaris troubles
>
> 	I had downloaded the binary version. Btw, I found zlib at:
>
> http://www.cdrom.com/pub/infozip/zlib/
>
> 	I downloaded it, and installed it. When doing the make install I got:
>
> # make install
> cp zlib.h zconf.h /usr/local/include
> chmod 644 /usr/local/include/zlib.h /usr/local/include/zconf.h
> cp libz.a /usr/local/lib
> cd /usr/local/lib; chmod 755 libz.a
> cd /usr/local/lib; if test -f libz.so.1.1.3; then \
>   rm -f libz.so libz.so.1; \
>   ln -s libz.so.1.1.3 libz.so; \
>   ln -s libz.so.1.1.3 libz.so.1; \
>   (ldconfig || true)  >/dev/null 2>&1; \
> fi
>
> 	The problem now is that libz.so does not end up in /usr/local/lib like
> AS wants. File libz.a shows up there, but not libz.so or libz.so.1.1.3
> If I am reading the above correctly, the "if test" should fail because
> libz.so.1.1.3 is not present. I will be investigating this further. Any
> advice is welcome. :)

When you built this did you tell configure to enable shared libraries?
By default I believe that you only get the static library.  The if
statement will very obviously fail since there has been no prior
"cp libz.so.1.1.3 /usr/local/lib"  which is why I think that
--enable-shared was not given to configure.

mehul