RE: Can't run afterstep 1.6.[06]

Mark Stacey (Mark.Stacey@icl.ie)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:08:17 -0000

I did upgrade, but the only two binaries that I could see related to
afterstep in /usr/X11R6/bin were afterstep and afterstepdoc, which I
removed. Could there be more that I'm missing?

Would it have anything to do with any of the asapps that are set to run?
Since I don't have the G/L/A directory, all those asapps are going to be
started by default. I haven't tried messing with that configuration.

Mark Stacey
   Software Engineer
   ICL Information Technology Centre
   Tel.  : (01) 2956644

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Sullivan [mailto:asullivan@sprint.ca]
Sent: 13 January 1999 21:36
To: 'afterstep@linuxcenter.com'
Subject: Re: Can't run afterstep 1.6.[06]

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Mark Stacey wrote:

> I had a previous version of afterstep, 1.4.55N I think it was and never
had
> any trouble, I've removed the .steprc and the G/L/Afterstep directories in
> case they are causing trouble. I'm running Redhat 4.2 with kernel 2.1.128.

> My X server is 3.3.2.

Did you upgrade AS?  If so, did you remember to remove the old binaries
before you tried running?

The old AS binaries are in /usr/X11R6/bin.  The new ones go in
/usr/local/bin/, so you can accidentally get a mix of binaries of the two
versions.  I expect this could cause trouble, although I don't know why it
would segfault.

A.

                                   *  *  *
              Go to http://www.davidv.net/~ajsulliv/, or issue