Re: Solaris troubles

Mehul Sanghvi (mehul@kirsun.ne.mediaone.net)
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 10:30:07 -0500 (EST)

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 11:41:02 +0000
> From: Ron Smith <rasmith@cerf.net>
> Subject: Re: Solaris troubles
>
> 	Ah, no I did not tell it to configure with shared libs. Upon reading
> the Makefile, I see ./configure -s to enable shared libs. I did a make
> clean, ./configure -s, make and make install, and there is a libz.so
> file. Now I have gotten a bit farther and have another error.
>
> ld.so.1: afterstep: fatal: libucb.so.1: open failed: no such file or
> directory
>
> 	There is no such file in /usr/local/lib. Where to from here?

Apparently the person who built this built it using the SunOS4
compatibility libraries.  You can do one of two things:

  1.  Install the Compatibility packages from the Solaris CD

  2.  Build AfterStep on your own against the libraries on your
      system.  I would recommend this option.  The Berkley
      Compatibility stuff is pretty buggy and Sun can withdraw support
      of it whenever they wish.  In general you should build with the
      Solaris libraries in most cases.  Building AfterStep is not that
      bad under Solaris.  You already have the zlib stuff.  You'll
      similarly need the png stuff.  xpm should be on your system.  If
      not you can always go get that too.

If you decide to build on your own,  make sure you give the correct
paths for the jpeglib, xpmlib, pnglib and zlib.

la8r,

  mehul