Re: Solaris troubles

Steve Charters (charters@ferndown.tt.slb.com)
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:32:27 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999, Ron Smith wrote:

> 	I didn't link it. I am using the binary version. I found libucb.so.1 in
> /usr/libucb, and made a ln from where AS is looking for it. Now ldd
> afterstep shows that all of the libraries are there, but running startx
> starts X, I see some errors too fast to make sense of them, and then I
> have to telnet from another machine and kill processes to free it.
> 	I would try to compile it myself, but I run into errors there to. The
> readme file even states that the configure scripts are a bit flaky, and
> does not state for sure that it can run on Solaris 2.6.
> 	Back to the drawing board.

Speaking from experience, it can. I've compiled almost every version of AS
from 1.5 to 1.6.6 on Solaris 2.6 with very little problem. If you have any
Solaris compile problems I may have come across them so feel free to ask.

> Ron
> Rafal Wierzbicki wrote:
> >
> > libucb can be found in /usr/ucb/lib, setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /usr/ucb/lib,
> > but what concerns me, why did you link with ucblib?
> >
> > On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Ron Smith wrote:
> >
> > >       Thanks for the help. Here is the output of ldd afterstep:
> > >
> > > libpng.so.2 =>   /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.2
> > > libz.so =>       /usr/local/lib/libz.so
> > > libm.so.1 =>     /lib/libm.so.1
> > > libX11.so.6.1 =>         /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libX11.so.6.1
> > > libsocket.so.1 =>        /lib/libsocket.so.1
> > > libnsl.so.1 =>   /lib/libnsl.so.1
> > > libSM.so.6 =>    /lib/libSM.so.6
> > > libICE.so.6 =>   /lib/libICE.so.6
> > > libXpm.so.4.11 =>        /usr/local2/lib/libXpm.so.4.11
> > > libXext.so.6.4 =>        /usr/X11R6.4/lib/libXext.so.6.4
> > > libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
> > > libucb.so.1 =>   (file not found)
> > > libresolv.so.2 =>        /lib/libresolv.so.2
> > > libelf.so.1 =>   /lib/libelf.so.1
> > > libdl.so.1 =>    /lib/libdl.so.1
> > > libmp.so.2 =>    /lib/libmp.so.2
> > >

> > >       I looks like libucb.so.1 is my last sticking point. Is this truly a bad
> > > thing for the binary to want, or is it a lib I can find and install?
> > >       Most importantly, how can I get around this to get AS running?
> > >
> > > Ron

> > > --
> > > Ron Smith
> > > Web Installs Group
> > > TCG CERFnet
> > > rasmith@cerf.net/619-812-4685
> > >
> > > --
> > >    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
> > >    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
> > >    MAIL:  http://www.caldera.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html
> > >

> > --
> >    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
> >    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/
> >    MAIL:  http://www.caldera.com/linuxcenter/forums/afterstep.html
>
> --
>    WWW:   http://www.afterstep.org/
>    FTP:   ftp://ftp.afterstep.org/

Steve Charters                           Ferndown Industrial Estate
Ferndown Product Development Centre      Wimborne
Schlumberger ATE                         Dorset
charters@ferndown.tt.slb.com             BH21 7PP
Tel. +44 (0)1202 850833                  England