Re: RPM packages for afterstep-1.7.x versions

Michael K. Neylon (mneylon@engin.umich.edu)
Sun, 17 Jan 1999 08:00:11 -0500

On Sun, Jan 17, 1999 at 05:37:06PM +1000, Tony Nugent wrote:
> Has anyone got, or know where to get, any src.rpm and i386.rpm
> packages for the 1.7.x versions?
>
> I can only find v1.6.6 at contrib.redhat.com

AFAIK, 1.7.x is not released yet.   I've yet to see a notice here,
and thus, any 1.7.x release is probably beta.

> Thanks.
>
> BTW, I don't know who built it, but the .spec file used for building
> this version puts everything (apart from what goes into /usr/doc/)
> into /usr/local/ !
>
> OUCH!
>
> No no no... this is a *managed* package!  It all goes into /usr/ thank
> you very much!  Nothing managed goes into /usr/local/ - that's where
> *unmanaged* (non-rpm) packages go.  PITA to have to get the .src.rpm
> and then edit the .spec file and then do a rebuild to change this.

I know that my original 1.6.6 packages put things in the /usr branch,
but that the maintainers of AS wanted things in /usr/local because the
FAQ points to this.  IMO, if you package with RH, you need to keep the
dir structure in /usr.

--
Michael K. Neylon, UM ChE Grad  | "How could this [Y2K Bug] be a problem
mneylon@engin.umich.edu         | in a country where we have Intel and