Re: RPM packages for afterstep-1.7.x versions

Tony Nugent (Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au)
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 17:25:00 +1000

On Sun Jan 17 1999 at 13:54, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> No.  1.7 is a developer's version.  You have to build from source.
> The latest FAQ explains the number-scheme change.

Oh, I am aware of this.  However, with a working .spec file, it's
relatively easy to build .i386.rpm and .src.rpm files.

This would be ideal for developers, who can (re)build a package (in a
consistant way) and install it for testing very trivially.  And then
uninstall or upgrade it just as trivially.  That's the big advantage
with rpm packages (as I'm sure you are well aware).

I was hoping someone would say "yes, I've got a working .spec file for
the 1.7.x development series"  :-)

> > BTW, I don't know who built it, but the .spec file used for building
> > this version puts everything (apart from what goes into /usr/doc/)
> > into /usr/local/ !
>
> But the defaults for the program otherwise are all /usr/local.

It should be (and it is for afterstep) compile-time configurable.
With many packages you get the spec file to do "./configure
--prefix=/usr" and then later on, "make install
PREFIX=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT/<whatever>" to allow installation into a
different root tree to allow for things like packaging as a binary
rpm.  (Afterstep does it slightly differently, but it amounts to the
doing same thing).  It avoids things like having to unnecessarily
apply ugly patches to the sources to get this changed.

> Unless you're willing to track down all the RPM-specific
> differences, and document them, I don't imagine this will change.

It isn't (shouldn't be) an issue at all.  The use of /usr/local/ is
compile-time configurable as it should be.

After an almost trivial edit of the .spec file for 1.6.6 (to change
the "prefix" define from /usr/local to /user/ , I have afterstep not
installed in /usr/local - just as it should be for rpm packages.

So, for the FAQ, all that needs to be said is that if you don't like
the default install location, it's easy to change it.  Just:

- install the .src.rpm package,
- cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/
- edit the AfterStep.spec file
- rebuild the package with "rpm -ba AfterStep.spec"
- then install the new binary package that will be found in
  /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/

Easy.  As it should be.  All you developers have this working right,
and my (red) hats off to you all!  :-)

I admit that I haven't had a good look at the 1.7.x sources, just the
1.6.x .spec file, and the installation upgrade from the 1.4.5.3
version on my RH5.1 (which is almost hand-upgraded to 5.2) box
happened very easily.  (Hehe, re-customising my own user configuration
was another matter :-)

Cheers
Tony
  Tony Nugent <Tony.Nugent@usq.edu.au>           <linux@usq.edu.au>
  Computer Systems Officer                       Faculty of Science
  University of Southern Queensland, Toowoomba Oueensland Australia