Re: as apps popularity evaluation

Thadeu Penna (tjpp@bu.edu)
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:07:03 -0500 (EST)

On 20 Jan, Albert Dorofeev wrote:

> First of all, ppl, does anyone run one of the following:
> 	asexec doing something interesting
> I would like to ask if anyone has some of these applications
> to send me a screenshot of the part of the Wharf with that
> applet.

 I'll do that as soon as I test the Ethan patch to asexec, OK?

> Thadeu Penna writes:
>>
>> I forgot one important point: the low popularity of asexec is IMHO because
>> of the unclear description of the apps. I know what asexec is for.
>> I was already subscribed this list when Ethan announced it, but
>> what the heck is a "state machine"? And the so called "transition states"
>> ?  The great appeal "It can be anything you want" is lost in this
>> description. Say, "it can update your xmodmap", "you can create an
>> animation here", "It can turn your X-10 on/off",  is it much more
>> appealling, eh?
>
> Well, I have a problem here. Can you send me the _working_
> configuration files for all these uses? I would like to add
> the examples of asexec config files to the package to show
> how these things are done.

The script provided in asexec does animations and change the xmodmap.

> Any more suggestions on improving the descriptions of
> asexec or anything else?
> Oh, yeah, and what is X-10?

www.x10.com (Home Automation)

Those lovely gadgets that turn on lamps, fans, heaters, etc.
I can turn on/off my stereo on the other room using one of those. You
need heyu and xtend to make them useful. I'll post asexec script soon.

--
Thadeu Penna                 Linux user #50500    -o)
Center for Polymer Studies - Boston University    /\\