Re: Making window shades sticky?

Andrew Sullivan (asullivan@sprint.ca)
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 04:10:01 -0500 (EST)

On 22 Jan 1999, Tomas Duewiger wrote:

> "Armando L. Caro Jr." <acaro@mail.eecis.udel.edu> writes:
>
> > I have a quick question... how do you make shaded windows sticky?

> That was a bug I think.

Tomas is right here, but this raises an interesting technical question,
which perhaps some developer (i.e. someone who has a clue, which excludes
me!) could explain:

The original code for "shade", as I recall from the old docs, worked by
fooling the window manager into believing that the shaded app was
iconified.  As a result, the shaded apps and the iconified apps ought to
(have) behave(d) the same way under the same condition: if "StickyIcons"
is on, then icons and shades ought to follow you around; if not, then not.
Now, the bug was that shades did not follow the StickyIcon definition:
even if the StickyIcon was "on", shades followed the "current desktop"
rather than the "original shaded desktop".

Now, does the shade function still work by calling itself an icon, or has
it circumvented this?  And, if the latter, is it possible to do as asked
in the original question?

Thx, A.

                                   *  *  *
              Go to http://www.davidv.net/~ajsulliv/, or issue